The J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Family Foundation announced today that more than 30 Idaho non-profits from across the state are the recipients of a total of $2 million in community grants this year.
“Every year, our family foundation has the honor of providing grants for some of the outstanding non-profits in our state,” says executive director Jamie MacMillan. “We think the work of these incredible organizations makes Idaho a better place for all of us and we are proud to support them.”
Among the recipients was Boise Rescue Mission’s City Light Home for Women & Children, which received a $100,000 grant. City Light offers emergency services such as meals, shelter, clothing, education, work-search assistance, mental health, counseling and other services. According to director Jean Lockhart, City Light is currently providing a safe haven for 115 women and 50 children.
“The grant will be a tremendous help,” says Lockhart. “We will use it to change lives forever.”
Terry Riley Health Services is a Treasure Valley community-based non-profit dedicated to providing quality, affordable healthcare especially to those who have difficulty obtaining care. Terry Riley will also receive $100,000.
“I am beyond words,” says executive director Heidi Hart of the grant. Hart says the grant will be used to help people with mental illness get more opportunity and access to care.
The Idaho Food Bank, the state’s largest hunger relief organization and the largest distributor of free emergency food, was granted $100,000. Boys and Girls Club of Nampa also received $100,000. The money will be used in part to restore student transportation from Nampa schools to the club.
Women and Children’s Alliance of Boise will also receive a $100,000 grant. The mission of the WCA is to provide safety, healing and freedom from domestic abuse and sexual assault.
“This grant means we can continue to meet the increasing demand for counseling, case management, child care and court advocacy,” says WCA executive director Bea Black. “These are the core services that help individuals and families rebuild lives based on safe, healthy relationships and a strong community for everyone. We are so grateful to the J.A. and Kathyrn Albertson Family Foundation for their support of our general operations.”
The Idaho Human Society was granted $350,000 in memory of Barbara “Bobbie” Newman, the only child of founders Joe and Kathryn Albertson. Mrs. Newman, a long-time Humane Society supporter, passed away September 27, 2012.
Although the primary focus of the J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Family Foundation is improving education in Idaho, the Foundation’s community grants program has been maintained by the Albertson family since the 1960’s to support sustainable Idaho non-profits that add value to the community and is by invitation only.
Complete list of grants ranging from $1,000 to $350,000:
- Saint Alphonsus Foundation 2011 Festival of Trees, Boise
- Idaho State Guardian ad Litem CASA Program, Coeur d’ Alene, Nampa, Boise
- Bishop Kelly High School, Boise
- Northwest Nazarene University 2C Summer Camp, Nampa
- Boise Public Schools Education Foundation Movies Under the Stars, Boise
- Discovery Center, Boise
- St. Luke’s Health Foundation, Boise
- Learning Lab, Boise
- First Tee of Idaho, Eagle
- Trey McIntyre Project, Boise
- Hope House, Marsing
- Foothills School of Arts and Sciences, Boise
- Treasure Valley YMCA Kristin Armstrong grant, Boise
- McCall Ski Racing Team, McCall
- Northwest Children’s Home Syringa House, Nampa/Boise
- Shepherd’s Home, McCall
- Wyakin Warrior Foundation, Boise
- Idaho Commission for Libraries Read to Me Program, statewide
- Idaho Community Foundation Community Cares Fund, southern Idaho
- Idaho Fallen Firefighters Foundation, statewide
- Idaho State University Foundation K-12 STEM Science Discovery Center, Pocatello
- Family Advocate Program, Boise
- Salvation Army Booth Program, Boise
- Bogus Basin Terrain Park, Boise
- Swiftsure Ranch Equestrian Center, Bellevue
- Discover Technology, Hayden
- Idaho Humane Society, Boise
- Idaho Foodbank, statewide
- Create Common Good, Boise
- Terry Reilly Health Services, Treasure Valley
- Boise Rescue Mission City Light Home for Women and Children, Boise
- Women’s and Children’s Alliance, Boise
- Boys and Girl’s Club of Nampa, Nampa